When you think of taking colloidal silver as a supplement, are you concerned about looking like a smurf? Why would you want to take it anyway? Turns out colloidal silver may just have some pretty amazing benefits.
Colloidal Silver Won’t Turn You Blue
Let’s clear this up right now: silver turning a person blue is known as argyria, a very rare condition that is caused by consuming improperly made silver nitrate solutions that contain too many silver particles that are too large in size. Ionic silver or colloidal silver solutions are safe to ingest, and you’re not going to be taking industrial amounts.
Colloidal silver is a liquid suspension of silver atoms in ion-less distilled water that can be highly effective against bacteria, viruses, and fungal organisms, even those that have become resistant to antibiotics. The particles of silver are small enough to penetrate and destroy pathogens, bacteria, fungal spores, parasites, and viruses on a cellular level.
Silver has been used for over three thousand years as an antimicrobial, for infections (internally and topically), for preserving foods and liquids, and medicinally. There are no known side effects of taking colloidal sliver correctly– meaning in small doses and not for extended periods of time. After you take it, 99 percent of the silver leaves the body in twenty-four hours; all is cleared by 48 hours.
The dosage may vary. I recommend this brand and tell people to start with 1 teaspoon twice daily and increase it from there, up to 1 tbsp twice daily. Do not take it longer than 2-3 weeks at a time.
Benefits of Colloidal Silver
- Broad-spectrum antimicrobial capable of killing many pathogens, even those resistant to antibiotics
- Does not encourage resistant microbial strains
- Does not interfere with antibiotics and may actually increase the effectiveness of specific antibiotics
- Spares good bacteria
- Can be used internally and topically
- Non-toxic, even if used multiple times per day for weeks
- No known side effects or contraindications; safe for all individuals
- Immune system support
Uses for Colloidal Silver
- Bacterial infections like the common cold or viruses like the flu: Begin taking colloidal silver as soon as you begin to feel run down and take it til symptoms subside
- You can apply it (spray) topically to burns, skin infections, fungal infections, yeast infections or wounds to speed healing
- Sore throat: as soon as you start to feel that scratchy feeling, gurgle with colloidal silver twice daily (spit it out after you gurgle, but don’t rinse).
- You can use it for ear infections–on animals too! Spray it on wounds or hot spots too.
- Use alongside antibiotics to help clear infection OR if you decide to forego antibiotics, begin taking silver
- Use internally as part of treatment for candida albicans (yeast overgrowth)
- Use internally for h pylori infection, dysbiosis, SIBO or pathogenic bacteria in the digestive tract. I frequently recommend it as part of the anti-parasite protocol I give my clients.
- Use as a preventive if people around you are sick and you want to remain healthy
- Can be used to combat MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus): a staph infection that can be fatal and is now resistant to antibiotics.
Mary Vance is a Certified Nutrition Consultant and author specializing in digestive health. She combines a science-based approach with natural therapies to rebalance the body. In addition to her 1:1 coaching, she offers courses to help you heal your gut and improve your health. Mary lives in San Francisco and Lake Tahoe in Northern California. Read more about her coaching practice here and her background here.
LIKE WHAT YOU'VE READ?
Subscribe and get my FREE guide, 7 Ways to Beat the Bloat, plus my newsletter with exclusive offers, recipes, health tips, and treats!