I have a challenge for you today: To cook intuitively. That means tasting as you go along and adding a bit of something here or there as it suits your particular taste. Cool? Cool.
The reason I present you with this challenge is that I made up this soup recipe last night and didn’t measure any of the spices as I was making dinner, so the measurements (for the spices and the broth specifically) are rough estimates. I never measure anything as I’m cooking unless it’s specifically for recipe development, and I wasn’t planning to post this. But it’s just so good that I wanted to share it.
SO, dear reader, I invite you to use this recipe as a template and get creative with it! The vegetable measurements are accurate, and the broth and coconut milk aren’t that far off, meaning if you are a person who follows every recipe to the letter it will still turn out fine. But feel free to add a pinch of this or that, a spice blend you like. I love the Trader Joe’s salt free 21 spice blend (something similar available at Costco, pictured below). But you could try this with a teaspoon of curry, or add some thyme, or even a pinch of nutmeg. Cilantro would be good too! Let me know what you come up with.
All you need for Creamy Cauliflower Soup is the following
1 head cauliflower
2 regular carrots or 1 large carrot
1 leek or 1/2 yellow onion
vegetable broth (for vegan), chicken or bone broth
large soup pot (I love this one)
immersion blender (I LOVE mine but have heard good things about this one). You can use a regular blender too.
freshly ground pepper
A little about this delicious and dairy free creamy soup: It’s chock full of all types of veggies that support liver detox. Sulfur-containing veggies like alliums and cauliflower particularly offer excellent liver detox support and aid in liver health. The cruciferous (in this case, cauliflower) are very good sources of indole-3-carbinol which assists in estrogen detox (read here why that is important). If you choose to use bone broth, you’ll reap additional benefits from the amino acids and collagen. You can make this soup vegan by using vegetable broth.
Side note: I am mid-kitchen remodel and basically made this soup on a camp stove. Success! It’s very easy; just chuck everything in a pot and simmer, then blend and season. The cauliflower turns silky smooth when blended, and the coconut milk adds to the creaminess. You can add more coconut milk and spices after you finish blending it til you achieve the perfect soup for your tastebuds.
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- 1 leek or ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, butter, or coconut oil
- 1-2 carrots, diced
- 1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
- 1-2 cups bone broth, chicken broth, or vegetable broth (depending on how thick you like your soup)
- ½ - 1 cup coconut milk
- sea salt to taste (depends on if your broth is salted)
- black pepper to taste; I probably added ⅛ - ¼ tsp
- 1 tsp other spices including spice blends you like: curry, garlic powder, thyme, cilantro
- Pinch of cayenne if you like a kick
- Chop and prep everything.
- Heat olive oil in soup pot over medium-high heat til it shimmers.
- Add chopped leek or onion and let it soften about 10 minutes.
- Add carrots and cauliflower and a splash of broth to prevent sticking if needed. Let cauliflower brown a bit.
- Add about 2 cups broth; bring to a low simmer; let simmer until all veggies are soft (can be easily pierced with a fork). Stir periodically.
- Add ½ cup coconut milk to start (can add more later).
- Add seasonings to taste: needs sea salt and pepper for sure. I added the spice blend (about 1 tsp) plus a dash of curry, which gave it a yellow color.
- Blend everything with immersion blender until smooth. Taste to correct seasonings. If using a regular blender, blend in batches and be careful that the lid doesn't pop off from the heat.
- You can add more broth and/or coconut milk at this point to achieve desired thickness.
- Top with avocado if you want. A nice touch.
- Also good with sausage for added protein.
LIKE WHAT YOU'VE READ?
Subscribe and get my FREE guide, 7 Ways to Beat the Bloat, plus my newsletter with exclusive offers, recipes, health tips, and treats!