Pie: Usually not the healthiest thing around. Pie usually involves refined white flour, shortening (trans fatty acids), tons of white sugar, and a high calorie filling. Well, I am here to remake the traditional berry pie just in time for your 4th of July BBQ. Try this “paleo pie” made with seasonal berries, nuts, and dates for natural sweetness. Refined sugar free, gluten free, trans fat free, and grain free, this pie offers healthful ingredients like the berries (high in antioxidants) & walnuts (high in essential fatty acids). Grain & sugar free foods are ideal for those on a weight loss plan, as you will avoid the insulin spike that causes increased fat storage. This pie is no-bake, too! Enjoy.
Paleo Pie (adapted from a paleo website I ran across, though I can’t remember which one)
1 cup macadamia nuts
1 cup walnuts
1 tsp ground cinnamon
8 oz medjool dates, pitted
2 cups organic strawberries
8 oz dates
3 cups strawberries cut into bite-sized slices
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, plus a little more to decorate
2 tbs lemon juice
1. Pit & chop 8 oz of dates into chunks and soak in water for 15 minutes.
2. Put nuts in a food processor and pulse until they grind up into tiny crumb-like pieces. Be careful not to over-process, or you’ll get nut butter. Should be crumbly.
3. Chop dates into chunks and put in food processor along with the cinnamon.
4. Pulse mixture until it comes together and resembles a graham cracker crust mix.
5. Press this mixture into a 9 inch pie plate starting at the center and working your way out to the edges.
6. Stash the crust in the freezer while you prep the filling.
7. Chop up 2 cups of strawberries and put in a blender.
8. Drain dates and add to blender with lemon juice.
9. Puree until smooth.
10. In a large bowl, combine the sliced strawberries and the blueberries along with the shredded coconut. Pour puree over the mix and gently combine with a rubber spatula.
11. Carefully put filling into the crust and spread with spatula to even it out. Sprinkle some shredded coconut on top.
12. Chill pie in the fridge for at least an hour. Red, white, and blue pie! If you are not sensitive to dairy, whip up some organic fresh cream to top, or sprinkle with dark chocolate shavings.
LIKE WHAT YOU'VE READ?
Subscribe and get my FREE Guide, 3 Steps to Heal Your Thyroid, plus my newsletter with the latest posts, special offers and health tips, too!