I am a big sushi lover, and this healthy rice bowl is similar to a deconstructed sushi roll. The options are endless for this dish, and you can assemble it in 5 minutes for a fast weekday lunch or dinner. You can make it low carb and grain free by using cauliflower rice, or you can use leftover rice of any type, or even quinoa.
You could eat this for breakfast, Japanese style. It’s packed with all sorts of amazing nutrients: anti-inflammatory fatty acids in the salmon; much needed trace minerals and iodine in the seaweed; good fats in the avocado; and the extra detox power of cauliflower.
Here’s what you need to make healthy rice bowl (I found all this at Trader Joe’s):
- 1 bag cauliflower rice, or 1 head of cauliflower (the bag of already riced cauliflower was cheaper than the head itself.) OR 1-2 cups already cooked rice or quinoa.
- Wild smoked salmon or lox, canned wild salmon or tuna, or leftover chicken or beef strips
- Cucumber and/or sliced carrot or daikon radish
- Already cooked spinach or kale (optional)
- Optional add-ons: Sea snax, which are little sheets of seaweed that come in fun flavors like onion & wasabi, dulse flakes, wasabi, Srirachi, tamari, coconut aminos, sesame oil.
Healthy Rice Bowl
I got this bag of riced cauliflower at TJ’s and cooked it the night before (takes about 5 minutes to soften in the skillet).
Add however much rice of whatever type you want as a base to your bowl. I seasoned mine with tamari (gluten free soy sauce), sesame oil, and Sriracha. Then I chopped the cucumber and avocado. Layer some smoked salmon (already cooked! no cooking needed!) or leftover meat on your rice. I used this wild smoked salmon that’s $5 a package.
Then arrange your cucumber, avocado, greens, or whatever else you want in there. You could throw some kimchi or raw kraut in for probiotics.
That’s it! You’re finished! You can make little mini sushi wraps with the seaweed, rice, avocado, and meat, like this. Fun!
Fast, fun, healthy, and easy. This meal will have you bursting with energy for your day. Let me know how you customize yours!
Mary Vance is a Certified Nutrition Consultant and author specializing in digestive health. She combines a science-based approach with natural therapies to rebalance the body. In addition to her 1:1 coaching, she offers courses to help you heal your gut and improve your health. Mary lives in San Francisco and Lake Tahoe in Northern California. Read more about her coaching practice here and her background here.