For the upcoming Memorial Day holiday weekend AKA beginning of summer, I am going to make this berry crisp. It’s a little different from a traditional crisp, because it contains CHOCOLATE! If you really want to go wild, get some Luna & Larry’s Coconut Bliss vegan coconut milk ice cream to enjoy on top (if you avoid dairy) or vanilla ice cream.
• 16 ounces of fresh berries (raspberries & blueberries sound good here)
• 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips or carob chips. I use Enjoy Life soy and dairy free chocolate.
• 1 tablespoon coconut flour
• 1 tablespoon honey (or more, to taste)
• 1-2 dashes cinnamon
• good squeeze of fresh lemon juice
• 3/4 cups nuts (macadamia, pecans, and walnuts)
• 1/3 heaping cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
• 1 tablespoon cold butter (Kerrygold) or coconut butter
• pinch of sea salt
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9 inch glass pie plate or baking dish with butter or coconut butter. Rinse the berries and drain, leaving the berries damp. Place berries in a medium-sized bowl and add chocolate chips, coconut flour, honey, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Toss well to coat. Pour the berry mixture into the plate, making sure the chocolate chips are more or less evenly distributed and not in a clump.
In a small food processor, pulse the nuts and coconut flakes together until coarsely and evenly chopped. (Or chop coarsely by hand.) Using your hands, quickly mix the butter into the nut mixture, until evenly coated.
Top the berry mixture with the nut mixture, leaving small gaps for the berries to bubble through while cooking. Bake for 25 minutes, or until berries are bubbling and the crust is crisp and lightly browned.
Serve warm with cream of your choice (coconut or raw dairy).