I am crazy for all things pumpkin, and I LOVE pumpkin pie spice. Did you know that cinnamon, the main component in pumpkin pie spice and in pumpkin dishes and baked goods, helps to balance blood sugar? That’s why this silky pumpkin pie smoothie is a great and nourishing breakfast treat to get your day started on the right foot. My recipe is dairy free and includes a special secret ingredient that makes the smoothie even more satisfying and delicious.
Many people equate smoothies with tons of fruit, and that can cause an insulin spike and blood sugar crash. Using low glycemic and naturally sweet and fiber-rich pumpkin as the base of this smoothie is a great alternative to higher sugar fruits. And the surprise secret ingredient helps keep you full until lunch. You get good fats, beta carotene, good carbs, blood sugar stability and protein– all in one glass!
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- 1/2 cup (slightly more if you like) canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree or cooked sweet potato
- OPTIONAL: 1 banana (adds creaminess)
- 1 serving vanilla protein powder. I like and recommend this one. OR 1-2 tbsp grass fed gelatin. (I use a combo of both. Read here why gelatin is such a superfood.)
- 1 tbsp tahini or almond butter. This is the secret SURPRISE ingredient that gives your pumpkin pie smoothie a delightful creamy and nutty flavor (like the crust, LOL). Plus additional fiber and good fats.
- 1/2 cup coconut or almond milk. This coconut milk is BPA free.
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp maca root for energy (optional)
- water to use til you achieve desired thickness
Put everything in blender and blend til smooth. Add as much water as you desire for thickness. I always add more cinnamon for blood sugar balance and ginger to support digestion. Delicious!
Please share and +1!
LIKE WHAT YOU'VE READ?
Subscribe and get my FREE guide, 7 Ways to Beat the Bloat, plus my newsletter with exclusive offers, recipes, health tips, and treats!