I’ve been drinking a magical gut healing, beauty-boosting concoction for a couple months now and thought I should share it with you since I’ve noticed so many improvements! This elixir has so many benefits and is even customizable depending on your goals and health status. I am using it as a basic beauty elixir, but you can add various elements to the base formula to support workout recovery, leaky gut healing, hydration, and even stress relief.
SO what is it?
I wanted a way to include collagen (<— this is the best collagen I’ve used. I can really tell a difference.) in my daily routine that wasn’t just mixing it in with tea or water (I’m not a big coffee drinker, but many people add it to coffee or smoothies also). Then I figured, why not reap some additional benefits while I’m at it? That’s when it occurred to me to add a powdered hair-skin-nails (H-S-N) formula for added nutrients AND a splash of apple cider vinegar for its benefits, too. Because it’s so dry where I live at 6k+ feet elevation, I’ll sometimes swap out the H-S-N formula for electrolytes, especially if I’m skiing or working out hard that day. You could even add a powdered probiotic or vitamin C.
I usually make this drink first thing in the AM. Since I’ve started drinking it, I’ve noticed improvements in my hair first and foremost, joint health, skin, nails that grow like crazy, and digestion. Overall I’ve noticed more of a healthy skin glow! My creaky knees don’t bother me, even with the higher impact activities I enjoy like sprints and skiing. I’ve struggled with knee pain in the past, so this is really a blessing.
This drink combines the benefits of collagen (read my article all about collagen here) along with a particular beauty formula I like that supports hair, skin, nails. I add apple cider vinegar for its myriad benefits (listed below), mainly digestion. This beauty elixir is for you if you:
- want faster growing hair and nails
- struggle with bloating and heartburn
- have leaky gut
- want to support your joints
- want healthier and younger looking skin. I think I’ve even noticed improvements in fine lines!
The hair skin nails formula contains nutrients that support keratin and collagen production. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body and sharply declines in your 20s which is why wrinkles and sagging skin pop out as you age.
The benefits of this magical elixir are many. Each of the 3 components offers unique health-supporting properties, and as mentioned, there are a few ways you can customize it to meet your needs (scroll down for more on that). Aside from the collagen, I started with the H-S-N formula to support hair health, an issue with which I’ve struggled in the past. I added apple cider vinegar (ACV), because it has clinically proven benefits:
- many studies show ACV lowers blood sugar and improves insulin resistance, which may support weight loss (source)
- improves digestion by stimulating stomach acid production to help break down food
- may relieve heartburn, which is most often caused by low stomach acid
- *may* quell sugar cravings (acidic foods often do), but this isn’t as substantiated as its other benefits (source)
- may support detox
- contains prebiotics and probiotics for gut health! Be sure to buy it with “the mother.” I use Bragg’s.
You can safely take up to 2 tablespoons of ACV daily (I use only 1 tbsp per day), but always add it to water or liquid, as it may burn your esophagus if taken straight. It may also wear tooth enamel, so make sure and swish with water after using it.
How to Make the Elixir– It’s Easy!
I add everything to my 24 oz HydroFlask first thing in the AM (usually). I do one scoop of collagen (scoop included when you buy it; probably a heaping tbsp); 1 tbsp of the H-S-N formula, and 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar. Simply add water and shake well to mix. This would work in as little as 12 oz water added to a glass; just stir thoroughly.
Variations on the Elixir
- My basic beauty formula for stronger, faster growing hair & nails and firmer (read: fewer wrinkles!), healthier skin: Use 1 tbsp H-S-N added to the base formula above.
- For additional gut support, use the base formula + 1/2 – 1 tsp of this powdered high potency probiotic.
- To support leaky gut healing, add 2 tsp GI Revive to the base formula.
- For hydration, blood pressure support, or to support exercise recovery, use 1 scoop electrolytes added to the base formula.
- To build muscle and for mood support, add 2 tsp branched chain amino acids to the base formula.
- For alkalizing antioxidant support and a drinkable way to get your veggies, add a scoop of Paleogreens! I like unflavored, but you could choose lemon-lime too.
- Add Concentrace to the base formula for additional mineral support. Good for those who are stressed.
- To support immune health and adrenals, add 1 tsp of this vitamin C fizz to the base formula.
Let me know which combos you try! Give it 30 days to see noticeable benefits.
Mary Vance is a Certified Nutrition Consultant and author specializing in digestive health. She combines a science-based approach with natural therapies to rebalance the body. In addition to her 1:1 coaching, she offers courses to help you heal your gut and improve your health. Mary lives in San Francisco and Lake Tahoe in Northern California. Read more about her coaching practice here and her background here.
LIKE WHAT YOU'VE READ?
Subscribe and get my FREE guide, 7 Ways to Beat the Bloat, plus my newsletter with exclusive offers, recipes, health tips, and treats!