My nutrition consulting practice focuses on women’s health, and that means I spend a lot of time focusing on healthy hormone balance with my clients. Most of the women with whom I work experience the following:
- overweight, find that they’re gaining weight, or can’t lose weight
- struggle with anxiety and/or depression
- have irregular digestion
- have irregular periods
- experience fertility challenges
- menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes, night sweats, and insomnia
The female endocrine system (hormonal system) is very sensitive to stress. That could be dietary stress (eating the wrong foods for your body, or too many processed foods), emotional stress, too much work and not enough sleep, environmental toxins, or pain and inflammation.
Under chronic stress, your cortisol levels rise, causing drops in estrogen and progesterone, your 2 main sex hormones. This can cause menstrual irregularities, weight gain, estrogen dominance, and infertility.
Symptoms that indicate your hormones are haywire include the following:
- irritability, anxiousness
- menopausal symptoms that interfere with day to day life
- heavy periods, irregular cycles
- inability to lose weight
- breast tenderness
- hair loss
- fatigue, insomnia
- lack of sex drive
- increase in belly fat
I have many resources to help you balance your hormones naturally by changing your diet and lifestyle habits (see resources section, below). Supporting your liver, which is in charge of metabolizing hormones, is a great place to start. But did you know essential oils can also help maintain healthy hormones in the body?
Essential oils are the concentrated liquids and essences from plants, containing volatile aroma compounds. They can be inhaled, diffused, applied to the skin, or taken internally (use CAUTION taking oils internally!) to rebalance your system. Because they are so concentrated, only a drop or 2 is needed for an effect. The oils do not contain hormones but have properties that stimulate hormone production and balance.
How to use Essential Oils for Healthy Hormone Balance
The following oils have been shown to exhibit therapeutic effects similar to that of phytoestrogens, meaning they balance estrogen levels:
- Clary Sage: Stimulates the pituitary gland, which regulates ovulatory and sex hormone function. Clary sage is also a uterine tonic pairs well with geranium. Great for cramp relief & PMS.
- Fennel: used to balance cycles. Also a wonderful digestive aid.
- Basil: recommended for delayed menstruation or scanty periods.
- Cypress: useful for circulation, can relieve stagnation associated with heavy bleeding or mid-cycle bleeding
- Geranium: has an overall balancing effect on female hormones
These oils would be useful for those with low estrogen levels or dropping estrogen levels, as is the case in peri-menopause or menopause. Stress can cause low estrogen in menstruating women, but I recommend hormone testing so you’ll know your estrogen and progesterone levels.
There are certain Young Living blends that support hormone balance (use these topically):
- Sclar Essence combines phytoestrogenic oils like clary sage, peppermint, fennel, and sage. Useful for menopause, hysterectomy.
- EndoFlex supports overall endocrine function. I’ve recommended it for thyroid and adrenal support, both of which positively influence female hormone support.
- Dragon Time is a favorite! This blend relieves PMS, cramping, and irregular periods. Contains clary sage, fennel, lavender, jasmine, yarrow, and marjoram.
- Lady Sclareol has a divine fragrance and can improve mood and positively influence low estrogen. Great for menopause. It’s a blend of rosewood, vetiver, geranium, ylang ylang, jasmine, and more.
- Progressence Plus boosts progesterone. I love this one to balance the effects of estrogen dominance and promote regular cycles with fewer PMS symptoms.
You can use all these oils topically with a carrier oil (like coconut oil or avocado oil), and in some cases, take them as a supplement. You can also mix up your own blends for use depending on your unique physiology.
For menopause: try clary sage, Dragon Time, SclarEssence, Lady Sclareol topically.
For cramps: try Dragon Time, valerian, ginger (few drops internally), clary sage, lavender
For PMS: try Dragon Time, EndoFlex, fennel, clary sage
Make Your Own Blends
Irregular Periods: Use topically daily.
- 10 drops chamomile combined with 10 drops fennel
Menstrual Cramps: Apply topically daily.
- 10 drops Dragon Time combined with 5 drops hops
- EndoFlex, Progressence Plus
Heavy Bleeding: diffuse or apply topically.
- 10 drops geranium, 5 drops helichrysum, 5 drops cistus combined
Get the Oils I Recommend here
Top Tips for Hormone Balance
4 Easy tips to balance hormones right away
My recommended 21 day detox program for hormone balance
How to cut the cramps
Solutions for hair loss
Hormones & Women’s Health podcast with Dr Dan Kalish
Please share and +1!
LIKE WHAT YOU'VE READ?
Subscribe and get my FREE guide, 7 Ways to Beat the Bloat, plus my newsletter with exclusive offers, recipes, health tips, and treats!