I am astounded by the many benefits of essential oils! I wrote about one of my favorites, frankincense, which I’ve been using to improve my skin. It’s a miracle worker! I also use peppermint, lavender, lemon, and thieves oil regularly.
Have you heard of thieves oil? If not, listen up: This one is a MUST in your holistic toolkit, and I recently tried it to relieve some issues I’d been having with inflamed gums. It worked overnight. I was really surprised! (albeit pleasantly).
I am so impressed with the power of thieves oil. It’s a blend of several different oils. The story goes that Thieves oil was created based on research about four thieves in France who covered themselves with cloves, rosemary, and other aromatics while robbing plague victims to protect themselves from disease. It’s a blend of antiviral, antiseptic, antibacterial, and anti-infectious essential oils: Clove, lemon, cinnamon, Eucalyptus, and rosemary. You can diffuse it to kill mold and bacteria; use it topically; AND use it to enhance the health of teeth and gums.
How to Use Thieves Oil for Oral Health
- Add a drop to your toothpaste for fresh breath and to kill bad bacteria. You can also use it to make your own homemade toothpaste!
- Rub several drops on gums twice daily to combat gingivitis. You can dilute with a carrier oil, like coconut oil, if it feels too “hot” upon application.
- Apply several drops to red, inflamed gums until swelling and pain subsides. I do this frequently, and it works so quickly.
- Gurgle a few drops in water at the first sign of sore throat or tickle. You can also apply a few drops (use a carrier oil like coconut oil) directly on the throat.
- Use 1-2 drops for mouth sores, or to speed healing of sores/cuts on roof of mouth. You may want to swish around with coconut oil or water so you’re not applying the oil directly to a cut.
- Soak dental floss in a few drops of Thieves and floss to kill bacteria. This works well to reduce swelling of inflamed gums too. I do NOT recommend using mouthwash like Listerine, which also kills the good bacteria in your mouth, too.
- Apply several drops orally once daily at night to fight cavities and for healthy teeth.
- I haven’t tried Thieves for toothaches, but others say it reduces pain if applied topically at site of toothache.
- Apply on cold sores and canker sores.
- Add a drop of Thieves to your coconut oil to use for oil pulling. Oil pulling is amazing for dental health, and Thieves will help pack an extra punch in pulling bacteria from the mouth.
Mary Vance is a Certified Nutrition Consultant and author specializing in digestive health. She combines a science-based approach with natural therapies to rebalance the body. In addition to her 1:1 coaching, she offers courses to help you heal your gut and improve your health. Mary lives in San Francisco and Lake Tahoe in Northern California. Read more about her coaching practice here and her background here.