Have you tried coconut flour for baking? It’s an excellent, high fiber option instead of white flour. I made these blueberry coconut flour muffins recently, and they were so good I had to share the recipe.
Coconut flour can be somewhat tricky because it tends to dry out baked goods, so you need to compensate with enough milk (cow or otherwise), butter/coconut oil, and eggs.
I love coconut flour because it’s grain free, gluten free, and relatively high in protein & fiber. Also, it’s tasty! These muffins won’t spike blood sugar or make you sluggish after you eat them like whole wheat or white flour muffins. Give coconut flour a try. It’s great to thicken up sauces, and I sometimes put it in smoothies.
Blueberry Coconut Flour Muffins
- 3 eggs (pastured)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, grass-fed, OR virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2-3 tablespoons raw honey or grade B maple syrup
- 6-8 ounces organic fresh or frozen blueberries
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup + 1 heaping Tbsp coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 400 and grease or place muffin liners in tin.
- Blend together eggs; melted butter or coconut oil; coconut milk; honey or maple syrup; salt, and vanilla.
- Combine coconut flour with baking powder and thoroughly mix into batter until there are no lumps. Carefully fold blueberries into batter.
- Pour batter into muffin cups. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes (start checking at 15).
- Good with organic, grass fed butter or almond butter. You could also use other fruit or add nuts.
Please share and +1!
Mary Vance is a Certified Nutrition Consultant and author specializing in digestive health. She combines a science-based approach with natural therapies to rebalance the body. In addition to her 1:1 coaching, she offers courses to help you heal your gut and improve your health. Mary lives in San Francisco and Lake Tahoe in Northern California. Read more about her coaching practice here and her background here.
LIKE WHAT YOU'VE READ?
Subscribe and get my FREE guide, 7 Ways to Beat the Bloat, plus my newsletter with exclusive offers, recipes, health tips, and treats!